Friday 16 April 2010

Round-up...

Well, it's Friday already and I haven't posted anything for a few days. Naughty me. To be honest, I've not seen a great deal so a quick summary:

Wednesday - The usual birds were in the Mafeo Sutton Park area on my lunchtime stroll, plus a black oystercatcher and 2 California gulls were with the glaucous-wingeds. Oh, and a pair of otters were engaged in some intense coital action on the beach by the Lighthouse Pub.
Jenny and I walked around Hemer Park in the evening. Not much doing, highlights included varied thrush and hairy woodpecker.

Thursday - my birthday! No birding as such today, but a mega highlight was a great-horned owl sat on wires by the road (near the dump) when we were coming home from Nanaimo, at approximately 11.45pm.

OK - today, and this evening. Went to Holden Creek first. It was fairly quiet with just 3 greater yellowlegs there plus red-tailed hawk, turkey vulture, GW teal, American wigeon etc.
Headed round to the Nanaimo River Estuary. Here, to things were quietish until a cracking male northern harrier appeared, soon joined by a female. The male, in particular, gave excellent views. I noticed a northern shrike - a bird passing through? I'd assumed the wintering birds had moved on... A lone adult white-fronted goose was flying around a bit, seemingly unsure as to what to do with itself.
At least 42 greater yellowlegs (pictured) were on the river.

I'll do a summary, and what-not, regarding the mystery bird over the weekend... looks like quiet a contentious one!

No comments:

Post a Comment